Last weekend we had a bunch of games, Ian had a game Saturday morning and then another Sunday afternoon. Evan had a tournament in Huntsville, 1.5 hours north, that began Saturday morning and finished Sunday afternoon. Since the boys had games at the same time, Michelle and I had to divide up the responsibilities. She caught a ride to the tournament while I stayed and took Ian to his game. I then drove up and caught Evan's second game, spent the night and we all got to see "the game" Sunday morning. Michelle drove Ian home for his second game I stayed and caught a ride home with Evan after the last game. So here is how it went. Ian's first game was a bit of a disappointment. Ian played keeper the first half and his team took a 4-0 lead into halftime. During the second half, with Ian at forward or on the bench they dropped 4 goals and the game ended tied 4-4. Here are some shots I took of Ian at the game.


Evan's team entered the U12 (b) division for the tournament although they are U11. The first team they faced was from Tennessee and beat them, I think 3-2. However it was later revealed that they had put several U13 kids on their roster and were subsequently disqualified giving Evan's team the victory.
The second game was against a U11 team from Huntsville. They were also playing up. They had played this team before twice and had won both contests. This time, however, they were out of sync and lost 3-0.
However, since they had one win they qualified for the semi finals against the number one team from the other pool. This game was awesome! It was a U12 Huntsville team and they were all very big compared to our boys (except Evan). They also took an early lead 1-0 and were very dominate coming out of halftime. Somehow Evan's team held them off with some great play by our keeper. They then rallied and got a goal to tie the game. This really lifted their spirits and they played way above themselves for the rest of the game, scoring another goal and fending off a very good team. It was a great win. Evan played, lights out, his coach after the game told him he had never witnessed a human give that much effort in his life. High praise.
The championship game was against the U11 club again but our team was pretty banged up with two kids hurt and unable to play and the rest with very little in the gas tank. They lost 5-0, but we were all very proud of their efforts and they got a nice medal for second place. Here are some photos I took.




Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'd been eagerly awaiting a new futbol report and this one didn't disappoint.
Congrats to E&I on great games, to you&M for managing the weekend, and to you on the incredible action shots. Loved them all, the "save," the "header" and "cross," and especially the "50-50". Like all I said, all too good :)
Willie
Although you told me all about it on the telephone, I really enjoyed reading your play-by-play, and seeing the great pictures. Evan and his teammates will not forget that game for a long, long time! And, I have always believed Ian was born to be a keeper - one of the best!
Post a Comment